Monday, August 4, 2008

Honolulu Zoo

This past weekend we decided to go to the beach. Michelle suggested going to the Honolulu Zoo before we hit the beach so that we could work up a sweat and check out the animals. I sort of don't care too much for the zoo. I always remember being disappointed with going there. Exhibits that are not maintained very well and look messy and run down. And you don't really get to see a lot of the animals, like the lions and tigers, because the pens were large and had a lot of places for them to hide. Which I guess is good for the animals but not so much for zoo-goers. And sure enough, as we walked around the zoo....lots of empty pens. Although I did notice that the zoo looked a lot cleaner and the pens, although empty, were really nicely designed.



So I mentioned this to Michelle and Blake and I guess one of the animals must have overheard and passed the word around because right after that, the animals seemed to pop out all over the place. We would walk up to an empty pen and all of a sudden, a couple of cheetahs would trot by right past us. We were also less than a foot away from this really huge and hungry looking tiger. It was really really cool. It seemed like at every exhibit the animals came as close as they possibly could to us. Michelle thinks it was due to her animal calling skills, but I'm not too sure that all the animals would know the clickity, dolphin-like language that she was using. In any case, the zoo turned out to be great. They've done a great job renovating it and it was totally worth it to stop by for a visit.

No comments: