So anyway, while we were in Hilo for the baseball tournament, we found several good places to eat. The first place that we went to was the Kuhio Grille for breakfast. Breakfast was great, I really liked the fried rice....just the way I like it, some spam and egg and no green onions. I also heard that the loco moco and desserts were really good there as well.

We found this place called Hi-Ho Mongolian Grill. This place is exactly the same as the Big Wok restaurant that we went to in California. We were introduced to the Big Wok by my sister and brother-in-law (thanks guys, that place rocked). Hi-Ho was exactly the same. It has a huge round stone that they cook the food on. You basically fill a bowl with raw meat, vegetables, noodles, and sauces and they cook it up for you on the hot stone. I forgot to take a pic of the cooks, but it's a very cool setup and the food tasted great.
We had one of our dinners at the Seaside Restaurant. The cool thing about this restaurant is that they have an aqua farm out back where I believe they grow a lot of the seafood that they serve.
I usually don't eat fish, but since this was a seafood joint, I figured I should give one a try. I ordered a grilled salmon that was on the Specials menu. It was prepared just the way I liked it...a nicely grilled, crunchy crust and soft and moist on the inside. It also had a really tasty mushroom cream sauce. Another thing that stood out was the bread. I think it was a sour dough type roll, but it had a slightly sweet flavor to it.
Here's a picture of the Koi fishpond that they had out back. And no, I don't think that they serve the Koi.

Some of the other places that we went to were:
- Ken's House of Pancakes - probably needed to go here several more times since the menu filled over 5 pages.
- Don's Grill - was ok, I had the pork adobo, which I liked
- Two Ladies Kitchen for mochi
- Tournament concession stand - had to have at least one loco moco in Hilo...I didn't think I'd have a chance to get one before I left. But this one was still pretty good.
- Cafe 100 - I actually didn't eat here, but some of the other people said it was good
- Big Island Candies - Chocolate dipped shortbread cookies
- Big Island Delights - Macadamia Nut Snowball Delight Cookies (my current favorite snowball cookies)
Sorry I didn't get too many pics of the food and of the restaurants.
So I'll end this post with a bunch of random shot from Hilo....



No comments:
Post a Comment