Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Kalani Falcons

Blake's team is 3-0 so far. I was going to post pictures of the games and whatnot, but I got stuck video taping the games for the coaching staff. Yes, I'm the nerdy Audio-Visual guy. But what that means for me is that (1) I can't take pictures during the game and (2) I can't really watch Blake too much since the camera is focused mainly in the "box".

Anyway, I was sort of nervous for Blake before the first game. He was still a bit raw with his tackling and football knowledge during practices. But he's pretty quick and was getting better reading the plays. By the end of pre-season practices, he made it on the starting team defense as a Corner Back.

The first game was against Aiea. They were supposed to be an average team. I don't remember too much about the game other than it was fairly close until the end. I do remember that Blake had a great game. I think he had 5-6 tackles. He started off the game with a nice tackle on the kick off and a big hit during Aiea's opening drive. He also defended a pass on 4th and goal and had what I considered to be a touchdown saving tackle. The Aiea Running Back ran around the right side and had an open field to the end zone. Blake was being blocked by a Wide Receiver on that side. He got around the block and made a great solo tackle.

The second game was against Ewa and was pretty uneventful. I think we won 18-6. The Ewa score came on a Kalani fumble that was recovered and ran back for a touch down. No plays came to Blake, in fact, I don't recall many plays that got past the line of scrimmage.

The third game was against Kahaluu at Kahaluu (the field right past the Heigenic store). It was really humid that day and it started to pour right after the game started and didn't really stop until the game ended. Blake's classmates, Tyler and Austin are the starting Running Back and Quarter Back. And they both had a great game. They mixed up the running and passing game pretty well. Tyler scored once (probably his 5th of the season so far) and I think Austin scored as well. But the play of the game, at least for me, was when Kahaluu was just past mid-field, only down by 12 at that point. Kahaluu lined up with split receivers on the right. When the ball was snapped, the QB rolled out to the right and threw the ball to the short receiver. Through the video camera screen, I saw Blake leap up and snag the ball out of the air. I followed him as best as I could with the camera. I think he was finally tackled somewhere inside the 15 yard line. How cool is that...his first interception. And on his birthday on top of that.

No comments: